Back on track with butternut squash.
Hard to get back into the normal swing of things after the long holidays. The days here have been gray, rainy with no spec of sunlight. January is always the hardest month for me.
But with bright butternut squash mash to cheer us up, I felt cheerful – even hopeful – for sunny days to appear again…
This mash is great for your child from 9-10 months on, and is also a great side dish for parents. With tofu and tahini, it has Protein, Iron, Calcium, Vitamin C, Beta-Carotene, Folic Acid and so many good things.
And certainly brightens up the plate.
Butternut Squash Mash with Tofu and Tahini
1 medium sized butternut squash (cut into about 2 cups of squash)
1/2 cup soft silken tofu
1 tablespoon tahini
1 tablespoon heavy cream (for the adults)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Fill a medium sized pot with water and bring to a boil.
2. Add the squash and cook until soft when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes or longer, depending on the size of the cubed squash.
3. Drain the squash, keeping some of the liquid.
4. In a food processor, blend the cooked squash with the rest of the ingredients (except for the cream), adding the cooking water to smoothen out the texture as desired.
5. Salt and pepper and serve warm. For the adults, add the heavy cream (for babies until 12 months, cream should not be served).